Aotearower's Blog - Speaking Up for Small Voices

Lifestyle
Politics
Social Comment
powered by

My Blog

Protecting Our Lifestyle

In a recent TED Talk Simon Anholt argued that the traditional left/right divide was no longer the relevant spectrum to gauge the political divide. With a world shrunk by communication technologies and air travel he argued that the new political debate was between those who wished to promote global citizenship and those who preferred xenophobic nationalism.

He therefore argued that the only relevaant questions to ask those seeking political office was to clarify which of these two views of the world they were promoting.

With this in mind I sent the following email to all the sitting parliamentarians :

In preparation for this years elections I would appreciate your responses to the following questions:

- What is your vision of New Zealand's role in the world?
- Is New Zealand part of the Global Community or not?

Unsurprisingly only a very small handful, mainly from the Green Party, bothered to reply!

One respondent replied, and I quote in full, in the following manner:

"My vision of New Zealand's role in the world is one where we are internationally competitive. This includes maintaining the status of having a world class education system where all our young learners (but not seemingly the old ones?) and people are achieving,thriving and succeeding.

Secondly "Global Community" is a very broad term. Whilst I believe that we have an integral part to play in the world, we must not sacrifice our societal values or unique way of life in playing that part."

All very commendable but I wondered to what "our societal values" and "unique way of life" refers?

New Zealand today is vastly different to the country in which I was raised.

- We used to be essentially mono-cultural. Even Maori struggled to be acknowledged in the overwhelming presence of a white European monopoly.
- We enjoyed the third highest standard of living financially in the world but at the expense of a stifling blandness that Austen Mitchell so brutally described in his book "Half Gallon,Quarter Acre,Pavlova  Paradise.
- Our shops closed for the weekend at 9pm on a Friday night and our hospitality industry amounted to an orgy of beer swilling by 6pm  - except Sundays when the public was given time to recover.
- We had to stand and listen to the playing of "God Save the Queen" before sitting down to watch heavily censored movies.
- Our palate was essentially "Meat and three veg".
- Milk was delivered to our letterboxes each night and provided without cost to all schoolchildren.
- The rest of the world was "overseas" and a great mystery to most - made more difficult by the need to apply for foreign currencies in order to travel.
- New cars could only be readily acquired by those with access to overseas funds so were enormously expensive and at best limited to one per family.
- Homophobia was rife and articulated by the member of Parliament for the constituency in which Tim Shadbolt is now Mayor.
- Rugby was the only sport of consequence.
 ..and
- a woman's place was in the home!

So we have always had our values and our way of life but its hardly fair to say that they are in any way 'unique" or worthy of preservation.

I suspect that my parliamentary respondent has indulged in a little "Politico Speak" to pander to the common fear of change.

In reality our values and way of life are not constants.

They evolve.

18 Comments to Protecting Our Lifestyle:

Comments RSS
Daniel Cunneen on Saturday, 2 September 2017 12:08 p.m.
Reply to comment

careerperfect.com on Wednesday, 10 April 2019 3:44 p.m.
I think, we must promote global citizenship. People are all the same, we came from a single-cell organism that harbored life on Earth. This so called nationalism and patriotism are diseases of nations. Why can't we just treat everybody equally? Global citizenship involves three dimensions — awareness (of self and others), responsibility and participation. The enlightened global citizen understands that there doesn’t have to be a tension between a nationalistic sense of duty and a moral obligations to the rest of the world.

uk essay on Saturday, 19 May 2018 1:12 p.m.
The administration should give calm more since individuals require the assistance of the legislature and intense individuals who can help them. The instance of the missing individuals ought to understand instantly and I know the legislature will give some more mitigate. I will Prayer for the missing individuals.
Reply to comment

writing elites on Wednesday, 23 May 2018 10:26 p.m.
I believe that TED Talks can help a lot of people to solve their problems of different nature and reasons. Personally I try to watch them at least twice a week and to develop my skills. Self-development is a very important part of the life for me because doing this I feel the deep sense of life.
Reply to comment

map my network drives on Sunday, 15 July 2018 1:07 a.m.
When you do map network drives in Windows 10, Windows displays a drive marked with your selected letter, which you can use to connect quickly and easily to a network folder.
Reply to comment

lin on Tuesday, 17 July 2018 7:04 p.m.
nice
Reply to comment

Flaxseed on Monday, 23 July 2018 1:39 a.m.
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck
Reply to comment

Lotus Seed on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:08 a.m.
I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged
Reply to comment

Pumpkin Seeds on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:13 a.m.
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!
Reply to comment

Hemp Seeds on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:15 a.m.
That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field.
Reply to comment

Caraway Seeds on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:18 a.m.
I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
Reply to comment

Mangosteen on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:21 a.m.
Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best!
Reply to comment

Chia Seeds on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:24 a.m.
I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.
Reply to comment

Sesame Seeds on Monday, 23 July 2018 2:26 a.m.
I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things
Reply to comment

Yotta Games on Monday, 27 August 2018 4:44 p.m.
Mafia City, One and only worldwide server, along with professional translation system capable of translating all language to one. https://mafiah5.yottagames.com/?language=en_EN
Reply to comment

Java Assignment Help on Wednesday, 12 December 2018 7:52 p.m.
Looking for someone write my java assignment here are Expert assignment helpers are well efficient and capable of creating unique assignments for college or university students with java assignment help.
Reply to comment

best teeth whitening kits on Friday, 11 January 2019 12:03 a.m.
Home teeth whitening kits are safe but you need to follow the instructions carefully and ensure whatever product you use is medically approved. Watch out if you have very sensitive teeth too, as some products can feel more abrasive on them.
Reply to comment

Bridal Shops Sydney on Friday, 11 October 2019 4:09 a.m.
Twobirds Bridal has huge range of wedding & bridesmaid dresses in Sydney. Our bridal shops Sydney offer formal dresses, bridal dresses, wedding gowns, and more.